So, you’re escaping the snow up north and coming to visit us in sunny St. Augustine. First of all, remember to check out the weather before you head down. We are in Florida but they don’t call our area “North Florida” for nothing. We can get chilly here too. Granted it will not be anything like what you came from.
When planning your Romantic Winter Vacation your first stop should be finding an historic place to stay. Check out St. Augustine’s Historic Inns. Each one of our inns has history that your innkeeper can impart to you. You’ll love the cozy atmosphere and the personal touches that you get from a Bed and Breakfast Inn versus a hotel or rental unit.
Now for the Romance…
Let’s start with a Romantic Day Out for you and you sweetheart. Be sure to check with your Innkeeper as they will have great ideas and if it’s a nice day, they may even be able to help you with a picnic lunch that you could take with you.
Our first stop on this adventure is a trip to the St. Augustine Light House. As you and your sweetie embark on a handholding journey up the 219 steps to the top of the lighthouse you’ll behold the breathtaking views of St. Augustine, the local marina and the beaches. It’s an incredible site and once you reach the top, you will have reached a very popular engagement spot. This is truly a romantic start to the vacation. Now, if you happen to be visiting during a Full Moon… you may want to sign up for the Sunset/Moonrise Tour: Once a month, guests are treated to a spectacular view of Mother Nature’s nightly changing of the guard. From your vantage point on top of the lighthouse tower, you can watch the sun disappear behind historic St. Augustine while the full moon ascends from the Atlantic horizon. In addition to the breathtaking view, guests are treated to complimentary champagne from San Sebastian Winery and hors d’oeuvres from The Reef Restaurant. Space is limited for this tour.
Now this is a great time for that romantic lunch. If the weather is good… grab that picnic lunch and go to Anastasia State Part to the beach for your picnic. There are no cars allowed on this part of the beach and you will love the serenity of the area. If it’s just a little too chilly for that, we have some great lunch ideas for you. Try the Café Alcazar located at the back of the Lightner Museum. This building used to be the Alcazar Hotel that was built by Henry Flagler. The café is located in the deep end of the original pool. The pool in the Alcazar Hotel was the largest indoor pool in the world when it was built. Now drained and they actually poured concrete in to raise it to the level you see today. Wonderful food and a fantastic romantic atmosphere will great you when you arrive. Looking for something a little more up scale? Check out the restaurant at Old City House, located almost right across the street from the Café Alcazar. Scrumptious food and that white tablecloth experience will be waiting for you for a truly romantic lunch. For the afternoon we have a couple of great ideas for you. How about a fun Segway tour with either Segs by the Sea or St. Augustine Bike Rentals? Or you could skip lunch and embark on a fun historic Food Tour with St. Augustine Historic Walk Tours, City Walks or The Tasting Tours. Later in the afternoon you can take a Sunset Cruise on the Schooner Freedom. Now for a romantic dinner… Here is a list of some of our favorites.
- Collage – 60 Hypolita Street – The menu reflects the eclectic tastes of the owners and focuses on fresh local seafood, steaks, lamb and veal, using international flavor profiles.
- La Pentola – 58 Charlotte Street – A relaxing, intimate atmosphere is infused with a Mediterranean ambiance with indoor and courtyard dining.
- Michael’s Tasting Room – 25 Cuna Street – Specializes in creating innovative dishes inspired by regional offerings and Spanish traditions of the Mediterranean. Ask about reserving “The Chef’s Table!”
- Raintree – 102 San Marco Ave – An intimate atmosphere in a historic setting. Enjoy dining inside a restored St. Augustine 1879 Colonial Victorian Home or in it’s Quaint Florida Courtyard.
- La Pavillon – 45 San Marco Ave.– German, Swiss and French cuisine in Victorian comfort.
- Centro Restaurant & Piano Bar – 17 King Street – A fine dining restaurant in the evening and a cozy atmosphere for our casual lunch hours.
- Augustine Historic Walking Tours – 904-392-7137
- The Tasting Tours – 904-325-3911
- Segs by the Sea – Segways – 904-687-1007
- Schooner Freedom – 904-810-1010
- Augustine Gold Tours – Small electric tour bus. – 904-325-0547
- St Augustine City Walks – 904-825-0087
- St Augustine Bike Rentals – Bike & Segway Tours 904-547-2074
There’s a start to your Romantic Winter Vacation. Be sure to check with your innkeeper for more information and special discounts from many tour companies and restaurants available just for Historic Inn Guests.