If you’ve never stayed at a Bed and Breakfast inn, you are probably wondering if this is the right kind of place for you when you visit St. Augustine on your next holiday getaway. Just read on and we’ll help you make the right choice for your vacation.
First off, if you’ve never stayed at a Bed & Breakfast, you may have heard horror stories of having to wait in line for the bathroom/shower only to find that there is no toilet paper or hot water. Or having to make painful small talk over breakfast with the other guests at the big table that you have to sit at. Or even worse, walking in to find doilies and tea cups and other décor that reminds you of your grandmother’s house.
Well… that was the Bed and Breakfast of the past. Fast forward to the 21st century and you will be pleasantly surprised at what is out there. Today’s Bed and Breakfast Inns are as unique as their owners. Most have a bathroom in every room or one that is designated just to you. Breakfast seating is also at small tables for two or four and you can request your own table at may of the local b&bs. You will find everything from Victorian to Modern in decor. And many have amenities to rival any hotel.
How do you make sure that you find the right Bed & Breakfast Inn? Follow these steps before you book your Bed & Breakfast Inn.
Check for availability here.
- REASEARCH – The best way to find the right bed and breakfast inn for you is to do your research.
- Check their website for awards, press coverage in the local media and user reviews. Hint… Inns that have links to their reviews are usually proud of those reviews.
- Check Trip Advisor for reviews
- Check BedandBreakfast.com for reviews.
- You may also want to check BedandBreakfast.com and iloveinns.com as they have awards for deserving B&Bs.
- ASK QUESTIONS – Call the Bed and Breakfast Inn that you are interested in and have a list of questions handy. This way you can make sure that they have everything that you are looking for. Their website may answer many of your questions like if these amenities are available.. WiFi, blow dryers, robes, cable/satellite, afternoon snacks, guest bar or happy hour. If everything is not answered on the website, here are a few more questions that you may want to check with the innkeeper.
- Is there onsite parking or does the Inn provide parking?
- What is the décor? Do you prefer modern or a bit of history?
- If you have limited mobility, check where your room is located. Some Bed & Breakfast inns have stairs to climb but they also have first floor rooms that may be available.
- What kind of breakfast is served?
- Asked when breakfast is served.
- What are the house rules. Some inns don’t really have any rules or minimal ones. Others may be a bit more strict. Find out before you book.
- Ask about street noise. If you are in the heart of the historic district, it could be a bit noisier than if you are off the beaten path or at the beach.
- If you are after a romantic getaway, does the innkeeper offer special packages for romance?
- Are you bringing children or pets? Make sure that they are allowed at the Bed and Breakfast that you choose. Ask the innkeeper if they have special rooms that are pet friendly. Many do.
- Ask if there are any special events going on when you plan to visit. This could let you know how crowded the city will be.
- If you have dietary needs, check that they can be met before you book.
- Get an exact quote and find out what is included in that price.
- Find out the cancellation policy.
Once you book your Bed and Breakfast Inn, the innkeeper will also be able to help you with other activities in town and give you some great ideas of places to eat and relax. They all live and play right here in the same place that you are visiting and know the best places in town. You have their knowledge right there. Be sure to take advantage of it.
We hope that this helped you to decide to book your stay at one of the wonderful Bed & Breakfast Inns here in St. Augustine. We look forward to welcoming you.